Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What should we expect in death, and could it be what we expect in life?

I believe the path to death is not a destination, but a direction!


I am writing this blog, after asking for input from the fellowshippers across the country. I also want to be respectful in this writing, and remember the people who are facing death right now. Whether it is you or a loved one who is approaching death, I feel sad in telling you, I am sorry for your pain. I am sorry for the moments that I call “would have, should have or could have”. Sometimes we are given time to reflect on these “haves”and sometimes it is over in a breath. The sorrow of death is felt longer for the family and friends . Survivors have more time to reflect on the “haves” because they deal with death before and after the passing. I notice during mourning, people handle their feelings differently. I remind myself, people will mourn loss in different ways and lengths of time, we should respect everyone during their sorrow.

We place life on a calendar, by marking our birthday and anniversaries and someday someone will remember us and the date on a calendar that we passed away from this life. I can say a calendar is a creation of man. Life is a creation of God. For my friends who believe in the “natural physical event that generated life”: I say, if that is how God created life, then that would be up to Him. I know my perspective is Christian; that is what I am, even though I serve people of all belief backgrounds. I find no value in disputing your faith or fighting. It is hard to serve people when you are attacking their beliefs. Death is not a time to convict or conflict. Death is a time to reflect on the contribution made in relationships by a person during their time on this earth. For the children of Abraham, we should let the Lord be the Judge, we should trust in the Lord's decision.

Death effects both us and those we love.
Just as any middle aged person, I have lost loved ones throughout my life. I was 18 when we came home to find a note on our door. My 23 year old brother was killed in a car accident. My grandparents passed soon afterward and 10 years ago, I lost another brother. A few months after my brother, my mother was writing a letter to a friend explaining her loss, and laid down her pen, it was never picked up again. Before she passed, we were talking over the phone; she asked me to speak at her funeral, I protested before I said yes. Little did I know what an honor it would be to proclaim the good news of living beyond the grave to our family and friends.

I was wounded when my father-in-law passed. I was deeply saddened to hold my wife's hand when she walked through that dark hallway known as the departure. On a Friday, I was at a rodeo doing a cowboy church in the rain. The mud was thick but we knelt in prayer. A hand joined us in the prayer and the cowboy later that night told me he “got right with God”. He said he had been away too long and it was time to come home to God. He was charged up like the energizer rabbit, had joy and fulfillment, the spirit was on him! A few days later the cowboy died on his brothers couch. I realized the joy in death is in our faith. The Joy is another name for the Word. The Word is another name for Jesus. My wife knew of her father's faith and my friend in the rodeo knew his brother “got right with God”


The direction we take in life is a journey through birth, life, death and beyond. Many religions have their opinion on the end of life, some say once you pass away ”that's it”. Many people believe we come back through reincarnation. Some expect to have an eternal life in paradise. No matter what is your belief, it is something that will happen to all of us, and it is a part of life. I thought about the Mayfly living only 24 hours, to be born, mate, lay eggs and die in a day. You could not compare that to creatures that live a long repetitive life such as the immortal jellyfish. Even the jelly fish has predators and death through events beyond it's ability eternally regenerate. Our direction starts before birth. Our ancestors gave their love and strife to the next generation and so we really begin at the creation. Jesus said in the Gospel of John chapter 17. He was one with God, and has always been with God. He also said, He was in God, as we are in Him. In John 14, He said  “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”


I hope two things are accomplished with this writing, the understanding of how important relationships are in life and death, and finding peace in understanding that death is a direction we travel along and not our final destination. Relationships are in every aspect of life. Family, friendship, business and clubs. In every relationship,we move in a direction, building, taking apart or moving onward. When a loving relationship ends like in a divorce or breakup, there will be a mourning process. I will write on relationships in the near future. The direction we travel through life, death and beyond is a choice. I have never heard of a healthy person wanting a wasted life. Some just let life take it's own course, and I respect the decision that each person makes in their life. I sincerely hope for those who have lost someone close, or those who see death approaching, that you follow your path of love. The love God has for us gave us grace, and grace gave us life beyond the grave. Our relationship with God, will take our lives on a direction past the grave.

Everyone, at one time or another, will be called to depart. I hope you do as the rodeo cowboy did, and “Get right with God”

No comments:

Post a Comment